Saturday, January 7, 2012

The tale of the ring set by Mrs. Paula


I think Erin and Gus were meant to enter my life!  They found my Somewhere In Time Antiques shop in Cape Girardeau, MO and we became instant friends! 

I'm sure all of you know that Erin loves bling!  Well, I happen to have lots in my shop and I have a special area that I call the "Romance Section".  In this special spot are what we in the antiques business call "new old jewelry store stock" which means these items are found in some dark area of a jewelry store that were never sold and the inventory was forgotten. 

Now this isn't exactly the story of THIS wedding set.  My very good friends, Kent and Vicki Zickfield, own Zickfield's Jewelry down the street from my shop.  Kent's parents started Zickfield's Jewelry in the 1930's and closed in 1951.  They placed all the diamonds, etc. that hadn't sold in a safe and were soon forgotten.  When I opened my own shop, Kent asked me if I would like to consign some vintage wedding sets and I jumped at the chance!  Now you know how Erin and Gus found the perfect set!  They stood over the rings and it was obvious that Erin had fallen in love with this one!  She isn't shy about saying what she thinks about a piece of jewelry and her love of this wedding set was obvious!  She knew perfection when she saw it!  It's a 1930-1940's wedding set with hand-cut diamonds that had just been waiting in that safe to be placed on Erin's finger by Gus!!

Now, Gus did a little sneaking to get this set held!  Then he came back in and handed me a down-payment and what was to be Erin's engagement ring came out of the "Romance Hold Section" and went straight into a secret layaway!! 

After Gus picked it up, I have been after him and after him to know when he was going to propose!  He just grinned and said something like "I'm just waiting for the perfect time".  Little did I know he hid it in his sock drawer!  I love this couple and I'm glad they walked in my store that first time! 

Mrs. Paula Noiseworthy-Haas, Owner
Somewhere In Time Antiques

No comments:

Post a Comment