Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The tale of Anna

Alright so here is the puppy update. We found her owners and now I am crushed :(
Turns our her name is Anna and she is a repeat runaway offender according to her family.
The problem lies in the fact that I had fallen completely and totally in love with her.

I don't even like dogs, dogs don't really like me but this dog did. I refuse to call her Anna because that name just does not seem to fit her. I was going to call her Ginger. Sigh. It was not the fliers or the online ads but rather the call to the local SPCA that gave us the number of the puppies real true owners and my heart sank. I did not want to give her back. Which puts you in quite a moral pickle because even if the owners are negligent and let her run away all the time she still belongs to them. So I could not make the call I made Gus do it because I did not want to be the one responsible for sending her away and he is still technically the man of the house and has to do the hard stuff. I told him to add though that we wanted her if they didn't.

We can't have a dog. Gus wants a dog desperately but we are just getting our acts together and it would probably be irresponsible to get one at this stage in our lives. They require alot of work and love and money and are a big commitment. I know all this but I think destiny had other plans. I mean the puppy literally showed up on our front porch. She is cuddly and lovable and sweet and perfect.

So Gus called me back and said that the owner had literally called the universes bluff and that we could have the dog if we want her. Apparently this woman has lots of kids and 'Anna' is constantly running away and causing her headaches and she has been thinking of giving her up for awhile. Despite all of my reservations I was almost psuedo begging her to leave the puppy with us. It was like something out of an orphan adoption movie. She was admiring what a nice house we had and what a lovely couple we were (according to our digital picture frame) and it seemed like the deal was sealed. She was all set to give Anna a better life, but then at literally the last moment reconsidered and decided she wanted to give her another shot.

Now I am sad. A puppy is impractical and exactly what I don't need right now but so was Gus Diggs in the beginning and that turned out for the best. Maybe we had to move to Murphysboro to find our perfect puppy. Oh and for those wondering the puppy and Henry got along splendidly. They weren't exactly the fox and the hound but not for the reasons you would think. The puppy was terrified of Henry, as most dogs are. Henry can hold his own and won't take any crap from any animal. Small dogs included.

So the lady took my information and said she would talk to her husband and they would think it over. It would be easy to get wrapped up in thinking about vet bills and buying food and how we would take care of her when we traveled but for now all I can think about is her curled up in a ball in our front window waiting for me to come home :(

No comments:

Post a Comment