Friday, September 25, 2009

Last Call Williamsburg


Now we are upon the eve of my last weekend as an official resident of the City of Williamsburg. How crazy is that? This next week is going to be a whole lots of endings and I don’t do very well with them being the uber-sentimentalist that I am. You are talking to the chick who cries during commercials after all. I just hate the finality of not knowing when the next time you will do something is but you never really have a guarantee for anything and I can’t very well go through life getting all misty every time I leave someone or somewhere I love.

For example a local favorite Italian restaurant of mine burned to the ground in July. The last time I went there was with my parents and we had a lovely lunch. I had no idea that it would be my last time at Sal’s because Sal’s was going to burn down. So I went along on my merry way enjoying my pasta (this was before the points kick) and I felt secure in the fact that it was not my last time ever at Sal’s. Little did I know….

We don’t get to control it, so we might as well enjoy it right? I don’t know what is going to happen tomorrow let alone next week or year. The only thing certain in life are death and taxes. Change is inevitable. Apparently I am just full of cliches today. Forgive me it must just be the nostalgia talking.

Anyway for my last weekend in Williamsburg I have some fun plans. I am going out with my wonderfully solid, reliable and amazing ‘Burg friends who have stuck with me through painting the cottage, and Green Leaf debauchery , and everything in between. I only have a handful of these such friends but they have been fantastic to me and have stuck with me through many changes in circumstances and lifestyle. You will always have awesome college and high school friends they are your bests, but it’s the ones who you make when you are outside your comfort zone who are so unlike you that continues to amaze me. People who would not have been a part of my life unless I had moved back to Williamsburg who now I love very dearly. Ugh. Everything today is super emotional.


At some point this weekend I should make a point to drive to Hot Topic listening to Dashboard Confessionals the whole way. It would only seem appropriate.

I have vowed to myself not to get all teary eyed and corny tonight even though that would be my natural instinct. This evening we are going out to dinner at my local Mexican restaurant Pancho Villa where, not the brag, I am literally treated like royalty. Margaritas on the house, napkin roses and tonight I might even get to wear this hot little senorita dress that they have thumb tacked on the wall for decoration. It was my goal to do so before I left and since this is my last chance I think it is going to have to happen.


Then the evening will hazily ( those free margaritas are STRONG, oh and free!) progress to karaoke and dancing which is really the only way to properly say goodbye to a city if you ask me. I have not yet decided what I am singing it might be a Britney night, but if I do find myself in that weepy place it very well might be ‘Midnight Train to Georgia’. The only problem with that is that I always want to play both the parts of Gladys Knight AND the Pips, which is hard to do simultaneously.

When I wake up and perhaps recover it will be time to clean and pack and restore in preparation for Sunday where I will preside over another final aspect of my Williamsburg life - the Catering Company Fall Tasting. Having done one every season for the last three years I am clearly feeling a little well I guess by this point you have figured it out. So I have my last tasting, on my last weekend. From here on out I will merely be a potential client and a tourist. My how things change.

Anyways I am going to stay upbeat and not allow the misery and impending terror of change cause me to become a big sopping mess on the Ho House floor. That is just not a cute look for anyone.

I will let you know how I do. Its kind of like the dress rehearsal to my big going away in Richmond. After all the show must go on :)

Alright so now for my week in review:

My song of the week:Good Girls Go Bad” by Cobra Starship featuring Flo Rida. Its just a fun poppy, yelly song that all of the cute little MTV mainstream kids are listening to and I absolutely love it. I make bad boys go good. Ha! Not so much Gus is not really a bad boy, despite being from Hampton and all.

Quote of the week: Now let me give you some context to this quote both of the people involved are from rural parts of the south and both have a history of heavy drinking and prior D.U.I. arrests. Their names have been changed to protect the not-so-innocent (I really must have Britney on my mind)

Male #1 : Who are you Republican bastards running for Lieutenant Governor, it’s a chick isn’t it?
Male #2: I don’t know I am not really a fan of the Commonwealth right now.
Male # 1 : Well goddamn Male #2 you can’t just go off and succeed from the Union every time you get a D.U.I!
Classic. That’s all you can say.

Highlight of the Week : In a crazy twist of fate I bought and purchased the perfect going away party dress on the same day that I wrote about how I have too many dresses. It just could not be helped. Anyways I heart this dress and I did not want to take it off yesterday so that's my highlight. Sad and shallow but I don’t care really if there is tulle involved.

Lowlight of the Week: Boyfriend dropping off the planet. Not literally but pretty much. Might as well have, stupid exams.

Zumba Highlight of the Week: I got my feet and brain to work together and I rocked it this week. Shook it like there was no tomorrow. While dancing away I could not help but smile that three of the songs we did routines to were on a mixed c.d. in my car and had been since before I even started doing Zumba. So not only did I know the words but I felt there was a certain cosmic destiny in my music taste perfectly corresponding to those of the larger Zumba community. Serendipity some might say, others might say illegal file sharing but I just choose to ignore them.

So there you have it loves, that is where I am at right now. Next week is my last here at work and in Williamsburg so bear with me as I work through my complex and sometimes deranged range of emotions.

It is lovely to know that you, my fearless readers will stick with me.
Slainte!

No comments:

Post a Comment