Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A pirate looks at 25....

We braved the Blue Crab and were rewarded with cheap beer and a lovely deck.
Totally worth it.


Jon Greene is a super hero


Shaking it on the beach, well sorta...


A pirate looks at 25.

It is clear from the above posted pictures that I have returned from a wonderful family vacay to the OBX. It was especially poignant for me because our whole family has not been there together in years and it will most likely be my last visit to the ocean for a very long, long time.

The impact of moving to a land locked state hits you when you realize that in the future you will not be able to just hop in the car and drive to your happy place. The beach for me is more of a mental state of mind than being on the actual beach. Being a rather large child from a young age I have never been one to embrace the 'swim suit', and when I was younger and played in the water I would usually swallow way to much salt water and wind up... well lets just say it was unpleasant. But I love being atthebeach. Its just like a totally different mind set.

Life is more relaxed there, it smells wonderful. My parents spoil me with delicious seafood and low calorie cocktails. You get to go shopping. You do things that at home are mundane but are special because you are atthebeach. Driving down there is a sense of anticipation, an exhilaration that you are going to a wonderful place where you are going to be very happy.

I heart the beach.

I am very glad that my last venture to the ocean was with my wonderful and supportive family although the quote of the weekend might have been my mother trying to plan my "viewing". I am actually not dying. I am just moving away from the people and things that I have grown to associate with love and joy. BUT I just have to remember that I am not losing those things they are just going to be farther away.

Anyways it was a wonderful weekend, exactly what I needed. As a final closing note to those who have lived in those afore mentioned landlocked states in the past....
LAKES ARE NOT THE SAME.

I swear if I have one more person tell me that there are always lakes......
comparing the two are like saying that a ring pop is the same thing as a diamond.
Not even in the same league.

Farewell Atlantic Ocean we shall meet again :(

No comments:

Post a Comment